Sometimes I get very frustrated that this blog doesn’t have a real “theme” other than just randomness. If you know me in real life, you will know that I can be very random at times so this blog fits the bill for me most of the time. But sometimes, I just need a little more structure in my life.
That’s why I’m introducing Tasty Tuesdays: A Tale of Good Eats. If you have been following this blog, you already know that we have limited our nights of eating out to just 65 for the year. This means the other 300 days are up to me to cook delicious foods that don’t make me want to cry and order Olive Garden. I have to admit, 29 days in, I am really enjoying cooking. However, our “go to” meals just aren’t going to cut it for the whole year, so I’m trying all kinds of new things! I am going to spotlight some of my new favorites on Tuesdays so everyone else can enjoy them as well!
Today’s Tasty Tuesday is BLT pasta. I saw this recipe on Rachael Ray yesterday while I was at home taking care of our sick baby and I thought it sounded good and easy. I was able to Google the exact recipe and make my own changes to it and it turned out pretty good! Below is my version of the recipe. If you want Rachael’s exact recipe you can check it out here.
What you will need:
- 1 pound penne or other short-cut pasta with lines
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 5-6 slices lean, thick-cut good quality bacon, sliced across into 1/2-inch thick sticks
- 1 sweet onion and 2 sticks celery
- 3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced ( I used minced garlic instead)
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup mixed cheeses… Parmigianao, Romano and Mozzarella
WHAT TO DO
- Boil water and cook pasta according to box (obviously!
- Go once around your pot with your EVOO
- Brown bacon then set aside for later
- Add onions, garlic and celery to the pan to soften and stir for a few minutes.
- Add your wine and tomatoes
- Cover and cook until tomatoes burst open
- Once burst, gently mash to unleash the rest of the tomato
- Add spices (I used Rosemary, Sage, Thyme and Parsley) and cheese
- Simmer until noodles are done
- Take 1/2 cup starchy water from noodles and stir in your sauce and add your bacon
- Toss noodles and sauce in a bowl and ENJOY!
It was a quick and easy meal that we both enjoyed and will definitely add it to our list to eat again! Check back again next Tuesday for another homemade, easy dish!